THE FARM BARBIE
Howdy! I’m Candi.
Welcome to TheFarmBarbie – where I take a fresh and somewhat radical approach to healthy living.
TheFarmBarbie is not your typical “healthy living” website. I am not only eating a real food diet – I am raising the foods I am eating. My personal journey to take control of my diet has transformed my family’s health and also provided a more rich, fulfilling, abundant life. Here at Thefarmbarbie, I will teach, inspire and empower you to reclaim your health with food.
My simple, step-by-step approach makes it possible for everyone to enjoy all the foods they love while gaining more nutrition, increasing energy, achieving weight loss, feeling healthier and even simplifying meal preparation.
A little fitness regimen is built-in to my adventurous lifestyle and includes: milking cows, gardening, making butter, kneading bread and chasing piglets. If you’ve ever considered starting a little garden or getting a couple of laying hens – look no further!
If a farm is nowhere in your future, my words and life will still inspire you. I am a believer that farms are optional but eating real foods is obtainable for all.
Want more? subscribe HERE for free weekly updates including: healthy living tips, how-to grow your own food and melt-in-your-mouth, real-food recipes.
Want to ask me a Question! I can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org OR send me a note on my contact page HERE.
The Goal Here at TheFarmBarbie:
HEALTH, WELLNESS & FOOD
I don’t want you to just live or survive…. I want you to be healthy.
I want you to live long. I want you to soar. I want you to thrive. I want you to radiate.
I want you to live abundantly.
I believe that God has blessed us with powerful, nourishing, healing foods that can make our bodies healthy and strong. I believe we can give our bodies health by simply eating the right foods. Good foods. Whole foods. Real Foods.
I also think we are missing out on the pleasure of food production. I encourage and applaud all of you who want to take part in the slow process of growing your own foods. You will reap many rewards if you do decide to take part in producing foods. Even if you just grow a little herb or salad garden or maybe just a couple of pots on the back deck, you will get satisfaction from the work. You will teach your family where food comes from. You will get sunshine, fresh air and exercise.
Lastly, I want you to be in your kitchen. Some of us are as far away from the cooking of the foods as we are growing it. Just like gardening, I think we are missing out on a great blessing. I want you to learn how to cook from scratch, make (nutritious) homemade baked goods and be able to take freshly picked produce and turn it into something magnificent for dinner.
My kitchen my happy place. Scratch cooking, lard rendering, butter churning and simple meal preparation are all duties I adore. These are not dreaded chores to me, they bring me joy, satisfaction and fill my cup. Nothing can change my mood faster or give me more energy than an afternoon in my kitchen.
Main Focus on TheFarmBarbie:
- Growing food (garden) & Raising animals (meat)
- Living Healthy – The value of eating Real food – the importance of consuming real, local (as possible), fresh (as possible) foods. Health benefits, digestive benefits, nutritional content, environmental benefits and benefits to your local community and farming neighbors.
- How to Eat real food – cooking, preserving, canning, freezing and fabulous recipes.
Yup. That pretty much sums me up in the simplest way possible.
But it goes so much deeper than that. There’s even more to it.
What You will Learn About Here at TheFarmBarbie:
- How to grow food- how to plant, grow, harvest, cure, save & store raw food from your own garden.
- How to raise animals – why, how, where, when, everything from housing, water, food, space, difficulty, enjoyment and even butchering.
- How to buy, store and save real, raw, whole foods – This includes canning, freezing, drying, curing and otherwise preserving real foods.
- How to cook, prepare, work with & eat real foods. Recipes, tips, techniques & skills as well as the “whys” and “hows” behind the kitchen methods and rules.
- The benefits of this lifestyle – Including:
- Health benefits of eating real foods (raw dairy, grass-fed meat, pastured pork, wild game, home grown fruits & veggies).
- Health benefits from raising your own food (exercise, fresh air, sunshine, experience, knowledge, sustainability).
- Environmental Benefits – home-raised veggies and meat are good for the land. Home gardeners (like me) avoid using chemicals. We are responsible with animal waste & repurpose it for the good of the earth.
- Benefits for the livestock – animals who are raised humanely and in pastures are healthier, happier and make good food for us to eat.
- Random Country Life Events – Every once in awhile you guys get a glimpse into whatever happens to be going on in my life. This category includes: stories about my kids, stories about special events I participate in, stories about gatherings on the farm or just something hilarious I wanted to tell you about. 🙂
Why You Should Read & Subscribe to TheFarmBarbie:
- It’s funny (LOL)
- You’ll get great ‘real food’ recipes with easy to follow instructions.
- You’ll learn the importance of feeding your body whole foods.
- You’ll learn how to cook real foods.
- You’ll learn how to grow a garden.
- You’ll learn more about raising rabbits, chickens, pigs and cows than you ever wanted to know.
- You’ll learn that it’s actually possible for someone (even you!) to raise their own food.
- You’ll probably be healthier (especially if you start a garden and cooking from scratch!)
- You’ll learn that you don’t have to move to a farm to eat real food.
- You’ll learn that you can be healthy, strong, well and eat platefuls of deliciousness (as long as it’s real food!).
Whether you want to grow a couple of tomatoes in a pot, or move out to the middle of no where & be completely self-sufficient I am glad you are here. My hope is that we may be able to help and inspire you on your journey.
Our homestead is a fun place & we are so happy you stopped by.
For Free weekly updates, healthy living news & new recipes…. be sure to join the blog: By email (here) On Facebook (here) Via Twitter (here). I’ll send you all the latest & greatest homesteading news & tips.
- How to eat Bunches of Food & lose Weight
- Take Control of Your Food
- 8 Simple Food Changes with a Big Impact
- Eating Real Food Without a Farm
- Homesteaders Food Challenge – How I raised all my own food
- Health Benefits of Grass-fed Meat & Dairy Products
- Stay Healthy and Strong without Dieting
- 3 Ways to Eat Healthier this Week
- 5 Reasons to Can Your Own Food
In The Kitchen:
Home Bakery (Wheat-Grinding, Bread-Making & Healthy Gluten)
- The Home Mill – You should Grind Your Own flour – 4 HUGE Reasons
- Introduction to the Mill
- How to Start Grinding Your Own Flour – It’s easy, it’s healthy, it’s delicious
- How to Make Bread with Fresh flour
- Homemade Tortillas with Fresh Flour
- Challah Bread with Fresh Flour
- Pecan Sticky Buns with Fresh Flour
- Homemade Crackers with Fresh Flour
- Homemade Pasta with Fresh Flour
- Homemade Pizza Crust
- Slightly Sweet Slider Buns
- Why we Drink Raw Milk
- Health Benefits of Real Milk
- How to Make Butter
- Best Raw Milk Ice Cream
- Mint Chocolate chip Ice Cream
- How to Skim milk, strain milk, and clean the milking machine
- Introduction to Canning & How to Make Blackberry Jelly
- How to Use a Pressure Canner & How to Can Green Beans
- How to Can Pickles – Fast, Easy, Taste like Claussen
- Making & Canning Spaghetti Sauce
- Homemade Fresh Pizza Sauce
- How to Can Tomatoes
- Canning Tomato Juice
- Canned Peaches
- Canned Peach Spice Jam
- Peach (or pear) Chutney
- Canned Peach Butter
- Strawberry Lime Marmalade
- Fiesta Garden Salsa
- How to Harvest, Cure & Store Onions
- How to Freeze Onions
- Freezing Peppers
- Venison backstrap with red wine pan sauce
- How to cook a deer leg
- Why You Should Make (and Eat) Bone Broth
- Make bone broth from beef or chicken bones
- Scalloped potatoes with cheese
- London Broil Teriyaki Style
- Rich, Hearty, Homemade Chili (with ground venison, beef or pork)
- Best Venison Burgers
- Spanish Sausage – Delightful!
- Baked Ham Steak
- Peach Glazed Pork Tenderloin
- Creamed Spinach
- Crispy, Oven Baked, Sweet Potato Fries
- Tomato Pie – Great for Company!
- Wilted Salad with Bacon
In the Garden:
- Wanna See My Garden?
- Weed Free Gardening – 3 ways to avoid weeds
- Benefits of Raised Bed Gardening
- Raised Garden Beds – Pros & Cons
- How to Start Your Own Seeds Indoors
- Everything About Growing Sweet Potatoes
- How to Grow White Potatoes in a Home Garden
- How to Grow Tomatoes
- Build Your Own Tomato Cages
- How to Grow Onions
- How to Grow Sugar Snap Peas
- How to Plant Lettuce, Kale & radishes
- How to Grow Garlic
- How to Grow Asparagus
- Build Your Own Chicken Coop
- Composting – How to Turn Manure into Soil
- How to Keep chickens the red-neck way (without fences)
- How to Raise Pigs & Why You Should
- How to Tap maple trees & make syrup
- Build a Milk Barn You and Your Cow Will Love
- How to Build a Backyard Rabbit Hutch
- Chicken Advice No One Tells You
- Help! My Cow May Have Mastitis
- How to Milk a cow once a day
- How to Build a fence
- Butchering Backyard Chickens